Monday, June 8, 2009

My Mama was Wrong!!!

As a kid the media was always enjoyed, I cannot think of one time that I was using some type of new technology and did not have fun with it; well maybe except from school. Though that idea was frowned upon by adults because they believe that these types of media were doing nothing for us and were not making us smarter, but simply a waste of time.


When I read Steven Johnson I first could not believe that someone was actually saying these types of things, sure a kid of course but one would expect this from them. Johnson’s book struck me at first glance as a bunch of myths because of what I have been taught as I grew up that. (the media well never help us because it does not challenge the mind. Johnson’s book is the complete opposite of that he argues that these things are actually making us smarter. His idea of the sleeper curve is that new technology as well the media are challenging our minds and improving our intelligence.


I myself enjoyed Johnson’s book the book. As I stated in class that I am not a big fan of reading so for me to read a book and actually enjoyed really shocked me. I believe that one real big reason why I enjoyed this book so much is because it has sooth a childhood myth that has really grinded my gears for so long. I think every child as they were growing up wants to believe that things such as the internet, television, and video games are going to help them become successful or happy as they get older, and Johnson helps us to believe that idea.


When I was reading Johnson’s book he introduces this new idea of electric speed (p 176) which basically states that we our intelligence of technology based on older technology. I feel this is the most influential part of the because I felt as if this part was written for me, because a lot of how I succeed in my everyday life now is by what happened in the past and learning from it and electric speed is the same way is no different.


Johnson’s book was interesting it help put a childhood pet peeve to rest. I did not expect to learn as much as I did from the book because of what I was taught as a child. Because of this book I wonder if my life would have been different if I had used technology as much as I wanted. So was my mom wrong for telling me to put down the remote and pick up a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment