Monday, June 8, 2009

"Sleeper Curve," like a hibernating bear

In the book Everything Bad is Good for You, author Steven Johnson puts forth the argument that popular media, the so called evil in our society, is actually making us, the common viewers, smarter; thus in turn making sense out of the title of the book. He calls this trend “Sleeper Curve,” names it “after the classic sequence from Woody Allen’s mock sci-fi film, where a team of scientists… are astounded that failed to grasp the nutritional value of cream pies and hot fudge.” (Johnson xvi)

In the book Johnson puts forth several arguments supporting his “Sleeper Curve Theory.” He produces the ideas of “flashing arrows,” multiple threading and “repeatability.” Now he tells of how ”flashing arrows” are less common now days in movies because we have the capability of following complex story lines so we don’t need to have the obvious pointed out in big flashy ways. I full agree with him on this idea. In watching modern shows on TV the “flashing arrows” have gone out the window. The writers throw twists and turns at viewers faster than a pitcher can throw a base ball. The reason is because of our attention spans; if we watch shows that spell everything out for use we loose interest and then show looses viewers.

I agree with him on the other two arguing points as well. I think the complexity of the multiple threads ads interest to our minds. Also it’s a good stimulating mental work out; the process of trying to remember the complex story plots of shows, like soap operas, causes you to dig deep into your brain. Then repeatability this is the area I agree the most on with Johnson. He states, “already, any given episode of a successful television show will be seen by more people in syndication than it will during its first run on network TV.” (Johnson 160) Johnson is saying that more people go back and look at old TV shows not on primetime TV, but on DVDs or in reruns. He also explains that writers are adding in hidden secrets “that reward great scrutiny,” or in better words could use a couple of viewing to be seen and fully understood. (Johnson 160) This to me is totally true I can’t tell you how many times I’ve watch episodes of Futurama, Family Guy, and South Park. When I watch them I see something I never have seen before; like in a South Park episode every time they talk about a kid’s age they change it by a year, or how in Family Guy in one scene Peters head shrinks for no reason. This also causes you to use your noodle to do some intense studying or viewing of the episode in hopes of coming across a hidden treasure you’ve never seen.

So to me I think Johnson hits the nail on the head with his book. Now I might be a little bias because I am an avid television watcher, but to me I think we are expanding our knowledge in ways never before seen through the use and viewing of media. Were up to date on events, were always actively viewing the episodes in order to keep up with the happenings on the screen. Media has gotten so complex you have to have half a mind in order to stay in with the times.

No comments:

Post a Comment