Monday, June 8, 2009

The Sleepr Curve/ Too Good to be True

The book Everything Bad is Good for You written by Steven Johnson really opened my eyes to how media today could actually be helping us. I never thought about TV or the internet making me smarter. Who new sitting down in front of a TV and playing a video game might actually be helping me. I have always felt that children that are sheltered and do not watch TV are actually a little weird or left out. I agree one hundred percent that media and today’s pop culture is making us smarter.

The shows on TV now are becoming so much more complex and intricate. Before I read this book, I never thought about multithreading or flashing arrows. Johnson says that the intricate strylines in shows like 24 are making us think more. I wish the rest of the public would read this book, and realize what I have over the past 9 weeks.

The way Johnson explains this Sleeper Curve is so convincing. After reading this book, I couldn’t agree with him anymore. When I grew up, I was raised thinking that video games and the internet were bad and that I should be outside playing. I have always thought about in the back of my head, why is it bad? After reading this book, I could explain to anyone why TV and video games is actually helping them and their children.

No comments:

Post a Comment