Monday, June 8, 2009

Sleeper Curve( responds)

What do I think about Steven Johnson “Everything bad is good for you”, The Sleeper Curve. What I think is that the Sleeper Curve, it makes you think about what is truly going on in the world today. How this one guy say something that the rest of the world thinks different. What Johnson is saying that what the rest of the world might think is bad for us but it is also making us smarter. All the media that Johnson cites in the book “Everything bad is good for you” like television: “For someone loosely following the debates over the medium’s cultural impact, the idea that television is actually improving our minds will sound like apostasy” (Johnson 62). When I watch TV I actually feel that I am getting smarter because what I learn on TV helps me out in the real world. Some people might think that when young people watch TV is draining their brains but it is making them smarter. Johnson talks about other things in the Sleeper Curve; Games, Internet, Films and all these are somehow making today society smarter.
With all the media that Johnson mention in his book is just another way of making us smarter without having to go to school. What he talks about in his book is just another form of media to me because it is just teaching us something that the rest of the world would not have taught us. Johnson came all just in time for me to get this think about Twitter is making me smarter every time I get on there. But at the same time, every time I get in front of the computer screen on the internet just browsing is shrinking my brain.
Johnson states: “if the Sleeper Curve turns the conventional wisdom about mass culture on its head, it does something comparable to our own heads” (Johnson179-180). Okay what he means about this is that since we as a whole us the internet to do mostly are lives on what if I was not around what would we do without it. We would go back to using books back in the old days, and we would not have all these source as we have today to help us out with are daily life.

No comments:

Post a Comment